Thursday, October 18, 2007

Da Book Meme

Since I now have absolutely no excuse (other than a complete lack of knitting content) to not update the blog on a semi-regular basis, I was thinking Thursdays could be my bullet-post days. As could be expected, this plan has already gone awry... I have a book meme instead! Stolen from the Samurai Knitter and Sheepish Anne:

1. Hardcover or paperback, and why: If I'm buying it, paperback. Books I buy mostly get read in the tub, so I like to keep things light and breezy. From the library I like hardbacks because they're more likely to stay open while I knit.


2. If I were to own a book shop, I would call it: "Wounded Books" and sell only used and "seconds" books. Just because a book's cover is bent doesn't mean it doesn't need love too.


3. My favorite quote from a book is: "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.


4. The author (alive or dead) I would love to have lunch with is: Kurt Vonnegut. We'd go to a nice deli, have a nosh, and talk about Kilgore Trout. Of course, I would rather have him alive for our outing, as his ordering brains for our appetizer may weaken my conversational abilities.


5. If I were going to a deserted island and could only bring one book (other than a survival guide), it would be: The Schrodinger's Cat Trilogy. Every time I read it I find a new mindf^$# to keep me amused.


6. I would love for someone to invent a book gadget that: Holds and entire library, is light, easy to read, and could display textbook diagrams. Has anyone tried out the Sony Reader? It looks amazing.


7. The smell of books reminds me of: Quiet. Having a few moments to myself was a luxury growing up, and the smell of a good book reminds me of when I used to steal away with my new library book.


8. If I could be the lead character in a book, it would be: If You Give a Mouse A Cookie. Damn, I want a cookie.


9. The most overrated book of all time is: The Kama Sutra. If you take the time to actually read the book it's a very interesting look into the culture at the time. It's a shame most folks just look at the pictures.


10. I hate it when a book: wanders away from what made you want to read it in the first place. Honestly, this mostly happens to me within a series. Take the Anita Blake series that I just finished reading. Sure, I like the naughty parts as much as the next sexually suppressed nerd, but it got to the point where the main character no longer did the things that made her interesting. Instead of hunting vampires and raising zombies, she went from one graphic orgy to the next. I kept reading hoping that the writer would return to more action-action and less bow-chicka-bow-wow action, and she did. Of course, it was book 15 by then, but I'm a patient woman.

1 comment:

Laiane said...

Oh, bathtub reading! I sometimes buy a hard cover and a paperback both, one for the tub and one for nicer treatment. I've dropped a few over the years. Well, two.