Wednesday, April 19, 2006

TSA must have gotten the memo...

I had a bad day today. I had to suspend someone for the first time, none of the other managers came to work today, and I still can't seem to shake the "jet lag" that has dragged me down all week. Not much knitting progress lately; I am still working on Jessie's Ribble socks, but either the Parade yarn or the pattern is very hard on my hands. It wears me out even more...

So, instead of whining for my entire post, I will speak of the goodness of the TSA folks for figuring out that I and many other knitters are much more dangerous without our needles than with. I got in and out of 4 airports 6 times without even a blink at my knitting needles. Well, not from the airport security people. I was stopped by several people asking how I got through security with my sock on size 2 bamboo needles. And it wasn't just me, either. While waiting at Hancock airport for my flight to Reagan I sat across from a girl working on a sweater using big, shiny Addi Turbos. While I grabbed a quick lunch at the TGIFriday's in the Philidelphia airport a woman stopped me and showed the baby blanket she'd been working on while travelling.

Knitters, you are free to roam around the country...

The unexpected benefit? I survived 3 take-offs and landings in one day without having a fit. I am scared to death of flying; a peek in my carry-on will reveal a stuffed animal that I normally cling to for dear life until we are at cruising altitude. I didn't need the bear this time. Knitting on my little sock kept me calm enough that all those flights were no huge deal. I think I kept everyone else around me calmer as well. What can possibly go wrong when the woman next to you is quietly creating clothing?

Thank you TSA!

No comments: