Saturday, January 21, 2006

I'm not worthy, but I'm trying to be...

Guess what! The Harlot actually wrote me back! She was very supportive of my weenie sock pledge for the Knitting Olympics. She wants the URL to the blog! She's even promised not to read it! That is why Stephanie is my favorite person I've never actually met. I am a little embarrassed to admit that I was a little disapointed when I didn't hear back from her immediately, but automatically assumed that she was hella-busy and didn't have time to deal with a nobody like me. It turns out she did get right back to me, but the stupid mail sorter put her reply into the junk (they call it "bulk) bin and I just came across it looking for something my ex sent me. I am so stupidly happy, I'm glad she won't be reading it. I'm entrenched in October 2004 of her blog and getting an itch to try mittens.

Reasons I'm glad the Harlot won't be reading my blog:
1. I am a serious bore. She's got enough to do.
2. I don't even have any pictures.
3. I have been dreaming about her bestest buddy, Ken. Not that kind of dream you perv, but it's enough to make me think I need to come up out of her blog and get some air. Or move to Toronto, whatever.
4. I started my "Knitting Olympics" project Wednesday evening. No worries, Boy can always use more socks.
5. I am such an amature, I'm afraid she'll see my ineptitude and burst out laughing, eventually causing injury.
6. I am much funnier in real life. Hysterical really. Problem is, as I try to translate this endless mirth into blog form, I have found that I may be copying her style. I'd rather not get on her bad side. She's pretty powerful; she has her own friggin' Olympics for crying out loud.

Knitting update:

Chocolate Mariah - I've done 5 rows on the sleeve this week. We're having issues to say the least.

Boy's Sock #2
- I was going to save this for the Knitting Olympics, but couldn't resist. I'll start a new pair for the event. I'm doing toe-up for this one and having a blast with it! I'm using not-sock yarn and size 4(us) needles, but that's what he picked out at the LYS.

Roommate Hat is done. Was done halfway on the trip to my first day of school on Tuesday actually. Was bored and had leftover yarn that did not really belong to me. Ended up looking at the Panta Pattern on Craftster.org. Decided I didn't want to use a pattern for a stupid headband, and made up one myself. I will now insult your intelligence and publish my first "pattern"! Any similarity to other patterns is due to its almost moronic simplicity:

ROOMMATE HEADBAND

Done on size 10.5(us) needles with Lion Homespun. Fits a 20" head, though ties make it uber-adjustable.

Cast on 10 stitches (I like the knit cast on for, well, everything). Stockinette stitch for about 2 inches. 10 stitches

On rs row: K4, make a purl stitch, K2, Make another purl stitch, K4. 12 stitches
ws row: P4, K1, P2, K1, P4
rs row: K4, P1, K2, P1, K4
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 4 inches

On rs row: K2, make a purl stitch, K2, P1, K2, P1, K2, make a purl stitch, K2. 14 stitches
ws row: P2, *K1, P2* Repeat between the * to end of row
rs row: K2, *P1, K2* Repeat between the * to end of row
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 6 inches

On rs row: K2, P1, K2, make a purl stitch, P1, K2, P1, K2, make a purl stitch, P1, K2. 16 stitches
ws row: P2, K1, P2, K2, P2, K1, P2
rs row: K2, P1, K2, P2, K2, P1, K2
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 8 inches

On rs row: K2, P1, make a purl stitch, K2, P2, K2, P2, K2, make a purl stitch, P1, K2. 18 stitches
ws row: P2, *K2, P2* Repeat between the * to end of row
rs row: K2, *P2, K2* Repeat between the * to end of row
Continue these two rows for FOUR more inches, ending on a rs row. 12 inches

Note: if expanding this pattern by, lets say, adding another purl section to make the whole thing longer and wider, two inches into this area is the halfway point, a very good place to start expanding. Further note: No jokes about my expanding halfway point. I am going to start pilates again as soon as I can find my floor...

Now, work the pattern in reverse:

On rs row: K2, P2 tog, K2, P2, K2, P2, K2, P2 tog, K2. 16 stitches

ws row: P2, K1, P2, K2, P2, K1, P2
rs row: K2, P1, K2, P2, K2, P1, K2
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 14 inches

On rs row: K2, P1, K2, P2 tog, K2, P2 tog, K2, P1, K2. 14 stitches
ws row: P2, *K1, P2* Repeat between the * to end of row
rs row: K2, *P1, K2* Repeat between the * to end of row
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 16 inches

On rs row: K2, decrease purl stitch, K2, P1, K2, decrease purl stitch, K2. 12 stitches
ws row: P4, K1, P2, K1, P4
rs row: K4, P1, K2, P1, K4
Continue these two rows for two more inches, ending on a rs row. 18 inches

On rs row: K4, decrease purl stitch, K2, decrease purl stitch, K4. 10 stitches
Continue in stockinette stitch for 2 inches, ending with 20 inches all together.

Bind off and weave in ends. Add ties of your own choosing to each corner to tie it to your noggin.

Any problems you have with this pattern are between you and the pattern. But drop me a line anyhoo; I'll try to mediate.


No comments: