Friday, December 11, 2009

Knitting on Medication

I am home recovering from last weekend's reconstructive surgery, which went splendidly! Between the stress and the pain medications and the simple fact that, when giving something small and knitted, colorwork is always impressive, I am happy to report that I had the foresight to start a few felted bags before the big day. Why felted bags?

  1. Felted bags are usually pretty small projects that use mondo needles.
  2. Felting projects are an easy, fast way to burn through some of those half-skeins of wool lazing around the stash.
  3. Felting is very forgiving in times when your gauge may be, well, less than perfect.
I have not uploaded any pictures lately, but I've been loving the Ballband Bag Recipe from Monica Knits and the Mini Skull Tote from Hello Yarn. Of course, my tried-and-true staple pattern is the Booga Bag from Black Sheep Bags.

I've been trying not to buy any more yarn until I can fit the yarn I have back in to the storage I have, but I was thwarted three times recently; once by the Loopy Ewe (free Romney Ridge 2010 Calendar for Loopy Groupies snagged me, but not in time to get a Swedish Fish mitten pattern before they sold out).

Another shop that pinched me was up by my cardiologist's office (don't even get me started on the cardiologist) was Ursula's Yarn Boutique in Santa Ana. The shop is a crowded mess and Ursula, the proprietress, was not too happy to see me coming in twenty minutes before closing, but she warmed up to me once we found out we were both breast cancer survivors. I can't leave a local yarn shop without buying something, so I picked up a few skeins from the ample 40% off section.

Before that I ran into Daily Fiber Yarn in Murrieta on my way up to see my father before I spent the weekend in the hospital. The store layout was impressive and easy to navigate, the owner Debbie was an absolute joy to talk with, and she also had a very impressive clearance section where I picked up Wendy Keele's Poems of Color for 50% off, score!

I'm hoping to post more now that school is over and I am laid up. Next time I'll talk about my phony craft cafe and show off some ads.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this.

Knits in Church said...

Hope you're feeling better by the time you read this! I've missed your blog entries while you've been ill.