I crept over to the window and found a bee (big surprise). A bee in distress, which made it a Bee. The fact that I have a nasty bee allergy then made it a BEE.
Not the BEE, picture swiped from Wikipedia
Thankfully, the BEE had the singular objective to get the hell out of my house, which mirrored my own desire. I tried opening the lower window over the upper pane in which the BEE was buzzing against, blocking the opening at the top and popping the screen open to give the BEE access to the outside world. It took some convincing to get the BEE to go down instead of up (note: yelling "go down stoopid bee" does not work), but in the end a bit of water was utilized to drive the now Bee down into the free area so that it could escape and continue its bee-existence.
Then I finished my sock:
I think I may just follow the pattern next time I knit these socks instead of imposing my short-row heel onto it. All in all a good fit, the pattern breaks up the colors nicely, and my first picot edge, yippee!