Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Kyoto

When I say that the HusBoy and I planned our honeymoon in San Francisco last year, planned may be too strong of a word. I did book flights, and a room in a lovely, historic b&b. I even arranged for a CityPass (totally worth it if just for access to the bus and cable cars) for the two of us. Past that, we didn't have any idea what we wanted to do or where we wanted to go. This lack-of-plan actually turned out splendidly. We ended up passing on the most popular destinations (the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz) and spent a lot of time walking around the Pacific Heights area.

Actually there was one planned excursion, one must-do on our my list: Souviner Yarn Shopping. I did quite a bit of research on the yarn shops in San Francisco, signed up for their email announcements, and came up with my must-see shop: ArtFibers. Nothing against any of the other yarn shops, but ArtFibers only has ArtFibers yarn, so I was sure to get something I couldn't get at home. Little did I know that I would fall in love...
... with Kyoto, a silk, mohair, wool blend that is the softest, most luminous yarn I've ever blown my entire honeymoon yarn budget on (once again, totally worth it). Clara does a better job of describing it than I ever could, but this yarn is worth every penny, and not that expensive for what you are getting. I got an entire cone plus 100 grams for under a hundred dollars, enough to make myself the sweater that the lovely woman in the shop custom-designed for me. It actually turned out to be enough for a nice-sized Clapotis,

and two large tit bits,

and I'm not sure what else just yet. I have a nice-sized ball left as well as a bit of blue that I scrounged off the only person on Ravelry willing to trade this lovely stuff.


The only issue I've had with this yarn is that I can't seem to get a decent photo of it:


I think this will be another one of those yarns that will make me sad once I've used it all up, but tis better to have knit and loved than to have never knit at all.

No comments: