Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Used Book Mini-Reviews.

I have had insane luck with used book stores; maybe good karma for donating Knitting Nature to the library? It's not on the shelves yet, but I have high hopes... They probably just need to get it plastic-wrapped.

I dropped into the defunct Walden Books down the street and, bless my stars, found a knitting book! The Knitting Goddess by Deborah Bergman for $5. It's a very basic technique book filled with fiber-related myths. It's a cute book and has great art and stories, but I've read so many books by women who've found knitting while on a great spiritual journey. I know it's little of me, but I get a little bitter hearing about women who have time to find themselves while I have to work. Still, totally worth the fiver.

At Acres of Books the knitting book cupboard has been bare for weeks. A little digging around unearthed Patterns for Guernseys, Jerseys, & Arans by Gladys Thompson and Complete Guide to Modern Knitting and Crocheting by Alice Carol. I felt like I needed a second guernsey book, and the Guide has a treasury of vintage patterns. I've already found an argyle sweater that I'd like to wrap my needles around.

So go hit your local used book stores, thar be treasure afoot!

No comments: