Friday, March 02, 2007

Bad Blah-gger

This is the first time in days that I've been online, and it's not because I've been knitting, because I haven't. I'm just feeling, well, BLAH. I think that part of it is that it took me THREE DAYS TO FELT A BIRDHOUSE!!!

Day One:

One thing you should know about me. I rent a teensy-weensy studio apartment that, thankfully, has a laundry room in the basement. The bad thing? It cost a dollar in quarters to wash anything.
When I came home from work at 9:30 that night, there were only 3 quarters in the dish. Since Boy and I have been working opposing shifts, I have not seen him conscious so I can properly punish him.
Day Two:
Get the quarters on the way home and cautiously run the birdhouse through a hot wash inside a lingerie bag (the Woolite bag is awesome). After about five minutes of agitation, I wince and put my hand in the water to check it's progress. The water turns out to be lukewarm, not hot at all. The bag felts a little, but is not properly felty. I hang it up for the night and go to sleep.
Day Three (Today):
Success!

Now to just let it dry, needle felt the darn thing, then stuff it and post it! Now, if I could only get some work done on the chuppah!

1 comment:

Maggie Tipping said...

I have the same problem with felting. I live in an apartment building and I am not a fan of paying for the laundry machines. I now save up my towels so i can wash them on hot when I have something to felt :)

I am keen to see how you birdhouse turns out. I bought that pattern ages ago but I have never knit it... I guess I just couldn't imagine what I would DO with it when it was done!