Tuesday, July 11, 2006

What I've Been Up To...

By the look of this post, I have not been taking pictures...

I read No Idle Hands : The Social History of American Knitting while knitting Ann's Twisty Wrap. Yes, while. I have somehow figured out how to knit and read at the same time, as long as I don' t have to hold the book. Social was, in fact, much more interesting than I thought it would be, and helped me understand Meg Wildwood's argyle sock knitting while reading Breakfast at Tiffany's . It was much better than Knitting : A Novel, which, while it was predictable and kinda boring, helped me get through one of my first bouts of insomnia in years.

I am currently reading The Blind Assassin and halfway through knitting 104 rows (about 9') of green fuzzy ribbing. When done it should look like a green version of this:


The link leads to the website I shamefully stole it from, but the yarn is coming from my stash. Viva Summer of Stash! Remember how I said that I'll get an idea for an item, even start knitting the darn thing, and then someone will come along for whom it was obviously meant? Well, Ann is Boy's Uncle's Mother, and the former owner of all the fancy green needles I now possess, so it made sense that the green twisty thing should be for her...

I also started dieting in earnest... I know that "dieting" is not the right way to do things, but what I'm really aiming for here is portion control. I'm not really going to be denying myself anything, I'm just going to be eating less of it. I could never keep a paper food log honestly, so I've resorted to an online one: http://www.calorie-count.com/ According to it's little counters, I need to lose 80 lbs, which is utter crap. You'd be able to tell if I had an extra 10 year-old in my skin. The food log is good though, it figures out the calories/fat/fiber/etc. for you on most things and let you enter the nutritional data if you've got it. And it's free, free!

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go exercise. Did you know knitting burns 149 calories per hour?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Go to Disneyland alot more! All that walking and standing will help you loose some weight. Just stay away from the Confectionary!
You can do it!!!!!
SP8