Sunday, January 15, 2006

Say No to Drugs and Stay in School

Double bummer today.

Boy suggested I take a sleeping pill last night so I'd actually get some sleep before my 5:30 am shift today. I took the recommended dose of two pills, eventually went to bed, and had a perfectly miserable night. I started crying and flailing at about 10 pm, then settled down and woke up disoriented at 3:30ish. It took me lying in bed for about a half hour to remember who I was, where I was, and what the heck I was supposed to be doing. I have had a killer hangover all day as well. We've decided that if I need to put myself to sleep, we'll try one pill next time.

Pretty standard Sunday morning shift; I was actually really productive within my haze... got all my work done and half of Mikey's. Mikey was cool with it though, he has a safety audit to do, so he actually needed the free time. Ah, the joys of being a babysitter for Verizon.

So I come home, soak in the tub with my copy of Yarn Harlot for a bit, then go to work on the Chocolate Mariah sleeve, which I was proud to say reached most of the way up my arm. Why "was"? Because I happened to look at the pattern again and, brace yourself...

I was supposed to start increasing about 18 inches ago.

Crap.

Why do I get such a mental block reading patterns? Why can't I read the whole thing before I start? I know I should, but my mind goes blank once I start reading. I also figured I'd just follow the chart. This is the first pattern I'm using that has a chart, so I got really excited and didn't read the part in the directions that say to increase after the first 6 inches. This is totally my fault, rookie mistake. Stay in school kids, literacy comes in really useful.

So, I'm trying to keep my tantrum tastefully quiet and short when Boy says, get this: "I thought you were a 'process knitter', this gives you more to knit, you should be happy." I am happy to report that he is still alive, but he had to wrestle the needles away from me.

I have ripped out a full skein and a half of yarn, about a week's worth of knitting, put all 64 stitches back on the needle (counted them about a million times) and started again, adding the increases. I hope I learned something from today, but to be honest, I still haven't read the instructions entirely. I'll buckle down and read them tonight, swear!

No comments: