Saturday, November 26, 2005

The Knitting Wounded

Hello, and welcome to my blog!!!

Uhm, just don't touch anything, alright?

I'd say my history as a knitter is a pretty standard one: learned to knit eons ago and just started up again in earnest in the last year or so, have yarn coming out my ears, and the inexplicable compulsion to accquire more. I've done a bunch of scarves and hats that I don't wear. I just started making socks; my boyfriend is now in possession of one sock and the first two rows of the second one. I have 20 balls of chocolate wool I bought to make the Mariah sweater from Knitty. I even found 3 balls of fabulous, discontinued black Rowan DK at my LYS that I will make into some pretty cabled socks eventually. I was really looking forward to this weekend. I work Thanksgiving, then I'd have five days off to sort the stash and get that last sock done.

Then, at work on Wednesday, the nagging weirdness in my left hand turned into three numb fingers. I went to the company doctor, who, when he finally saw me, mumbled something about nerve damage and told me to take Ibuprofen and come back on Tuesday. Nerve damage? NERVE DAMAGE??? Crap. I am the sole provider for my little family, knitting is the only thing that keeps me sane, and I take all my degree courses online through University of Phoenix. This is not good news.

So, while I'm waiting for further tests and whatnot, I'm trying to keep the swelling down in my fingers and whipping out acrylic scarves and whatnot while I have some time off. I have a goal of 50% stash reduction before I bring another skein into the house. I have a bunch of acrylic that the good-hearted people of the world have given me, piles and piles of butt-ugly yarn. Ugly things need love too!

Wish me luck, I'll keep you all posted...

No comments: